The Institute of History and International Relations of Southern Federal University and the Editorial Board of “Novoe Proshloe/The New Past” journal with support of Paulsen Fellowship (London Scholl of Economics and Political Science) invite you to participate in the conference " The New Past: History-Writing Practices in the Stream of Time", which will be held on October 8-9, 2019 at the venue of the Institute in Rostov-on-Don, B. Sadovaya, 33.
We expect that the conference will be held annually and will become an attractive intellectual platform to discuss strategies and mechanisms for shaping images of the past, their social and political reception, the role of the professional community in the formation of a grand narratives and cultural memory. These are the priority topics for «Novoe Proshloe/The New Past» journal, which annual programs are aimed at creating a network of researchers who are aware of the constant and enduring novelty of the past.
The questions which we are going to discuss on the conference include:
- The phenomenon of the past and identity;
- Academic practices of representation of the past;
- Popular historical culture(s) in various contexts;
- Symbols of the past and their role in the functioning of historical consciousness;
- Schools and directions in historiography and their peculiarities;
- Historical memory and historical oblivion, factors of their formation;
- Memory politics;
- Collective traumas and their role in thinking about the past;
- Tools and mechanisms for managing the past;
- Popular geopolitics and history;
- Documents and archives, techniques of working with them;
- Biographies and biographics.
Applications for participation in the conference with the abstracts (300-500 words) should be submitted before September 1, 2019.
Working languages of the conference are Russian and English.
The Organizing Committee has a limited number of travel grants to pay for travel and accommodation of the conference participants on a competitive basis.
Selected papers presented at the conference will be published in the format of articles in the issues of «Novoe Proshloe/The New Past» (2020)
Additional information: Amiran Urushadze (+79185940821, firstname.lastname@example.org)
All fields of the "Application for participation" form must be filled