Institute of History and International Relations of Southern Federal University and editorial board of the journal «Novoe Proshloe / The New Past» invite to take part in the international conference «The New Past – 2: Imperial and National in the Historical Culture», which will be held in October 22–23, 2020 in Rostov on-Don, Bolshaya Sadovaya street, 33.
Core directions of the conference are following:
- the phenomenon of the past and identity;
- characteristics of the memorial space formation in empires;
- memory of the imperial past and its role in modern socio-political discussions;
- the concept of “nation” in historiography and journalism;
- designing and paradoxes of national stories;
- symbols of the nation in the context of historical memory and historical politics;
- civil reconciliation and overcoming the traumatic experience of the past;
- imperial in national and national in imperial: the problem of memorial combining;
- post-imperial and protonational in history and social memory;
- empires and nations between “proto-” and “post-”.
During the conference, the discussion on the topic "Civil war: prologue and epilogue of imperial stories" will be organized.
Applications for participation in the conference with the abstracts (300-500 words) should be submitted before May 15, 2020 on the journal’s website «Novoe Proshloe / The New Past» (http://newpast.sfedu.ru/ - button «Conference 2020»). The organizing committee will inform the decision to include reports in the conference program no later than July 1, 2020.
Working languages of the conference are Russian and English.
The Organizing Committee has a limited number of travel grants to pay for travel and accommodation of the conference participants on a competitive basis. For participants of conference an organizational fee of 1 000 rubles is required.
Selected papers presented at the conference will be published in the format of articles in the issues of «Novoe Proshloe/The New Past» (2021)
For inquiries:: Amiran Urushadze (+79185940821, firstname.lastname@example.org)
All fields of the "Application for participation" form must be filled